Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the people you love and are getting ready for the holidays. 2016 has been a really unusual year. It’s important to remember that there are lots of good people working hard everyday to keep our communities strong and restore our faith in humanity. Today is #GivingTuesday and here are five non-profit organizations that would love your support:
- You Can Play works to promote a culture of respect and inclusion for all. Sport teaches us teamwork, goal setting and the pursuit of excellence. You Can Play helps us understand we are ALL on the same team. https://donate.youcanplayproject.org/page/contribute/donate-now
- The Women’s Sports Foundation was established in 1974 and is dedicated to creating leaders by ensuring girls’ access to sports. WSF provides safe and equitable sports opportunities so that all girls receive the significant health, education and leadership benefits both on and off the field. https://secure3.convio.net/wsf/site/Donation2?df_id=1960&1960.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr004=bkrl5u1gw2.app306a
- WinterKids helps children develop healthy lifelong habits through fun, outdoor winter activity. WinterKids has helped over 100,000 children discover skiing (downhill and cross country), ice skating, and snow tubing through unique education programs. WinterKids believes that snowy fields and frosty trails make the best classrooms. More than 5,000 students in Maine and New Hampshire participated in the WinterKids Challenge last year, completing at least three different outdoor, active lessons. Your donation to WinterKids will help kids get outside, get active, and have fun: http://www.winterkids.org/help/donate/
- Scott Hamilton is one of my heroes. He is an Olympic Gold Medalist, Network TV skating analyst, actor, performer, producer, Emmy Award nominee, best-selling author, role model, humanitarian, and a cancer and brain tumor survivor. His positive attitude and commitment to excellence are an inspiration. The Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation is dedicated to funding world class research and quality care to improve cancer survivorship. CARES stands for Cancer Alliance for Research, Education and Survivorship. The cancer alliance builds strong partnerships with leading institutions, cancer support groups and researchers from around the globe. The foundation focuses on early detection, advanced diagnostics and leading-edge cancer treatment in a fight to significantly improve cure rates and quality of life. https://scottcares.org/donate-scott-hamilton-cares-cancer-research-support
- NPR http://mainepublic.org/donate-mpbn-0 I spend lots of time in my car driving to skating practices and love listening to NPR – especially funny episodes of Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! I appreciate the multiple perspectives on issues and events and proudly support non-profit public service journalism. (Also if anyone reads this, I’d really like an NPR sticker for my car.)
The antidote to fear and hate is love and action. When you feel overwhelmed, do something good. Make a donation, volunteer for an hour or two, meet a friend for a workout. It’s also really important to unplug. Turn off your computer, television, phone, and go play outside.